I’ve been doing my 365 Days of Ted challenge for 87 days now and a pretty glaringly obvious truth has emerged – failure is the foundation of success. I’m not making this stuff up! Ted speaker Miles Burke is a self-professed failure, but there is a silver lining. In his Ted talk “11 lessons learned through mistakes,” Miles shares with us what some of his mistakes have taught him.
Miles broke down his Ted talk into 11 bite sized nuggets of wisdoms that we can all use into our business lives.
11 Lessons learned through mistakes – according to Miles Burke
- Mistakes can be lessons or failures. It’s up to us what we decide to do with our mistakes. Are we going to sulk or feel sorry for ourselves, or are we going to use that mistake as a learning tool to grow.
- Dream big, plan small. Miles says that although dreaming big is good, all entrepreneurs do it, you need to plan small, plan for next week, next month, next year. Dreaming big is useless if you don’t have a plan behind it. Get those milestones in place
- Be passionate. Passion need to be the backbone of your work.
- Find a mentor. Miles says that it is important to find someone to bounce ideas off. It doesn’t need to be a traditional mentorship relationship, but that support network is crucial.
- work / life balance. It’s so easy for entrepreneurs to get wrapped up in their many projects and businesses that they unintentionally neglect the other, more important, part of their lives – their families. It’s important to check in on yourself regularly to make sure that you are leading a balanced life.
- Have fun, make mistakes. Miles last tip. Have fun in your business and know that it’s okay to make mistakes.
There you have it. Miles 11 tips born out of mistakes. Do you have any tips from mistakes that you have picked up along the way? If so please share them below.